Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The start of an adventure

One week ago, I volunteered for duty as a 'transit driver' to join Jim Roberts in his run at the "2011 One Lap of America". My duty was contingent on the acceptance by Adele (my wife of 40+ years). Imagine my great surprise when she said yes, 'it would be a wonderful thing for you to so.' So naturally, I waited until the next day and confirmed that she was still OK with my leaving for this adventure. Still yes, so I sent in my part of the lodging / gas and signed up for the ride.
Today, I met with Jim about preparation and have many new things to start on. Enough insurance, check - need for sponsors, check into that - how much to pack, little as possible, check and on and on.
The race will cover most of the US, East of the Mississippi River, and race will total over 3,400 miles and over 4,500 for us, as we will need to get to the start/finish point in Indiana.
I now have the 2009 yearbook, 2010 Route map and a picture of Scott and Jim's cars to get working with. Fun times and hard work ahead.
I will let everyone know what is going on day by day and hopefully post pictures every day, if there is time. Of course having 16 hours to drive 500+ miles to the next track, eat and get some sleep will keep that time to a small amount. Hopefully there is Wi-Fi and electric outlets at each track.

No comments:

Post a Comment