Friday, April 29, 2011

Saturday at Tire Rack

Tons of things done today @ Tire Rack. We were first in registration, spray washed the car, put on all new decals, loads of discussion about all the expensive modifications to the cars here. Some people have way too much money in their car or 'paid drivers' but most are guys and gals that just enjoy the sport of auto racing. After a picnic snack and drivers meeting, Brock Yates Jr gave all us newbies good instructions on what to expect, how to act and warnings about tracks that Are very fussy about what happens on them.

Jim and I also came back to the motel and decided to get a snack at Bob Evans - great strawberry crepes. The WiFi does not work well here, so I mostly did this post on my iPhone.  That is until I noticed that the 3G signal works fine, and I have the 3G modem so I can use the laptop when no WiFi is present.  Duh, I can be so thick headed sometimes.

I took a lot of pictures today, and I will wait to post most of the until I have WiFi or get home, so I can post the good ones, not all of them.  I do not think I will get a chance to do much sorting of pictures this week, as we all wonder when we will have a chance to sleep during the race.  One concern is Tuesday night, after leaving Florida for New Orleans, a huge drive.  We will pick up an hour in the time zone change, but it is still a long drive to start around 7pm and be at the track Wednesday just west of New Orleans, at 8 am.

Anyway - tomorrow is a wet skid pad event at Tire Rack and then off to Grissom Air Force base about 82 miles away for an Autocross using SCCA rules.  Jim should love that.  As car 38 out of 75 cars entered, we are in the dead middle of thee running order for the first 2 days.  After Sunday at Summit Point in West VA, the racing order will be determined by the fastest time first, slowest time last.  We hope to pick up a few spots there and maybe be in the top 20 or so?  There are, as mentioned before, many high powered cars here, and professional drivers or regular drivers that have done this for years, and so the hope of a top 20 might be aggressive for us.  But then again, Jim has raced and given others instruction at Summit Point, so he knows the track intimately and that should help him in his run.  Fingers crossed, as racing earlier means you finish the day sooner and can get started on the road for the next stop quicker.

The endurance part will kick in sometime after South Carolina to Florida.

See you tomorrow from WV. Check out Jim's blog at onelapadventure.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment